4.01.2013

Life in the Shire

Well kids, I'm here. Out in the white field that's all ready to harvest.
My area is the Bedford 2 area. It covers part of Manchester, Bedford, Goffstown, and New Boston - all in the southern part of New Hampshire. The weather has been really nice so far, sunny, in the 50's and 60's, no snow, no rain. Perfect.
My companion is Sister Buxton. She's from Pleasant Grove, Utah. She's been out for 4 months and this is her first time training. And Bedford 2 is the only area she's ever served in. We get along great, it's been so much fun so far. We realized how inspiried President Wilkey really is when we realized that I like the corner and edge pieces of brownies and she likes the middle peices. It's a companionship made in heaven. Seriously though, she's great. We've had so much fun so far and she's been really supportive and encouraging as I've tried to figure out what the heck I'm doing.
My area is partly urban and partly suburban/rural. Bedford is full of nicer houses, more spaces (trees) between houses. Manchester is full of apartments and streets. I've never missed the grid system of Utah roads more. Our GPS doesn't work half the time, none of the maps are completely accurate, and there's like 4 different Old Bedford Roads. But we do have a car, which is really nice.
Now to the actual missionary work. We have two people with baptismal dates set - both the end of May. We don't tract very much, because we already have such a large list of people that we can barely keep up as it is. We have lots of investigators - although some are more interested than others. There's also a lot of less-actives that we like to visit every so often. It's a pain when people keep bailing on appointments, but we've been lucky in that we usually have a backup that will work.
Personally, I'm just trying to figure out what I've gotten myself into. I've never been so happy to have a 10:30 bedtime. I feel bad for Sister Buxton, because I haven't really participated in lessons all that much - I just don't know what to say to people. And I thought the MTC was supposed to prepare me for this. It's gotten better though. I'm figuring it out as I go along.
Also, anyone remember the the Spencers? Shout out to Michelle Spencer - I got to hang out with your mom last week. They're in my ward, which is fun, since I haven't seen them since like 9th grade. She came and taught a lesson with us.
I honestly don't really know what else to say. I wake up, exercise, study, study some more, go to appointments, eat, try to catch people at home, eat, study, plan, and go to bed. It's so interesting, meeting all these new people. They tell you in the MTC that you're there to teach people, not be their psychiatrist, but they are so intermingled. People will tell you everything about them, every problem they've ever had. But it's great, knowing that you can help them. You can help them find that hope that they so desperately need, that hope that can get them through, if they'll just look for it and put in the faith and trust required. The hard part is helping people to see that they need this hope, this extra help, when they're already happy. If they're already content with how life is, how can I make them know that there's more out there? That's been the hard thing for me so far.
But like I said, I'm figuring it out. The work is moving forward - it just takes some trust in the Lord.
Thanks for all the letters and e-mails! I can e-mail family and friends now, so feel free to do that. But I only have like 2 hours of e-mail time a week, and I can only read e-mails once a week. However, I have all day to write letters, and I can read mail 6 days a week ;) If you e-mail me maybe put your home address in as well, incase I don't have time to e-mail back and I have to write an actual letter? Kthanks.
Sorry that this letter isn't quite as entertaining as the ones in the past. It's full of information though, which is almost as good. I appreciate everything everyone has sent me - including all the food. However, my one request for the moment: please don't send any more food unless it has 0 calories, is extremely healthy for me, or contains caffeine. The members out here are taking good care of us, and I sit in a car for most of the day :) Letters are always appreciated though! I can feast on your words ;)
I love each and every one of you. And I mean that. As a missionary I'm so full of love for the people around me that I don't know what to do with it all. So I'm passing some on to you guys. Hope everyone had a good Easter, and remembered why we celebrate it in the first place.
You're the best.
Love, Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment